Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Step One: Set A Powerful Intention

As I continue to read Love Your Body, Love Your Life I find myself learning a lot and in turn changing how I think about myself. Changing my thought process from a negative to a positive has helped me to change how I see myself on a day to day basis.

I find my negative voices are quieter and come around less frequently. I know I still have a long, long way to go, but this is such a huge step on that journey. I can look at myself in the mirror now. Not only look, but I don't feel the urge to criticize every single thing I don't like. 

I don't necessarily stand there and praise myself either, but the decrease in negative self talk shows progress and for that I am grateful. 

It's taken me awhile to finish reading the first step of the Five Steps to Freedom. It's been a mixture of reasons as to why it's taken me so long (including fear of changing), but I've finally gotten back into reading the book and into making the changes necessary to stop obsessing over my body.

The following are the highlights I took from Step One. I still highly suggest the book for anyone having difficulty accepting their body or for those who have a lot of negative self talk...

"NBO (and other limiting thoughts, beliefs, and behaviors) disempowers and deactivates the power of intentions."
 
"Here are some of the main ways that NBO can block your ability to connect with the field of intention and manifest your desires:
1. NBO ties your self-worth to a specific outcome. This makes it difficult, if not impossible, to detach from the results.
2. NBO causes you to reject or deny your inherent beauty, goodness, and strength.
3. NBO affects the quality of your intention because it comes from a place of desperation rather than a place of love."
4. NBO highlights your fears instead of your trust and self-love."
5. NBO makes it difficult to accept the present (and love yourself as you are right now).
 
"Relying on an outcome disempowers your  intention because when you let your self-worth be determined by a specific result, you are denying the fact that you are inherently beautiful, lovable, and worthwhile exactly as you are, right here and right now."
"Whether your self-worth is determined by your body size, your bank account size, or by anything else in your life, the principle remains the same: when you make your self-worth dependent on a particular outcome, you deny part of yourself and therefore weaken your connection to intention and your ability to manifest greatness in your own life."
 
"You must form intentions from a place of acceptance, instead of from a place of rejection."
 
"When you experience life as always providing exactly what you need, in exactly the right amount, at exactly the right time, a couple of things happen:
1. First, you align yourself with the universal power of intention, which is by nature always-providing...
2. Second, you begin to experience trust...
When these two forces take hold, your mindset will change."
 
"A powerful intention may invoke fear because it is outside your comfort zone."
 
"Your lack of acceptance of the present moment adversely impacts your intentions for a number of reasons:
1. It puts you in opposition to the energy of the universe.
2. It puts you in opposition to yourself.
3. You drain important energy away from your intentions.
4. It makes you attract negativity.
5. You are limiting your power as a creator."
 
"Accepting the present does not mean you will not or cannot change."
 
"Many of the people who struggle with NBO don't believe that they deserve to receive what they want."
 
"Entitlement is the voice of the ego, demanding that life provide you with exactly what you want, when you want it. Abundance is the quiet reality that we all deserve and most people sell themselves short of receiving."
 
"Here are some likely reasons you may have failed in the past:
1. You probably did not have the right information to lead you to the fulfillment of your goal.
2. Perhaps part of you did not feel you deserved it, or wasn't sure you even really wanted it.
3. Maybe you didn't have the support you needed to fulfill your desire."
 
"You may not achieve something your first try, or your second, or your third. Almost every great accomplishment has been achieved through a series of perceived failures. So-called failures are simply learning opportunities so you can do better the next time you try."
 
"You might very well find yourself in conflict regarding your intentions. You may feel excited and motivated one moment and fearful and helpless the next."
 
"Trust that your body will find it's own healthy weight in its own time and that you will develop a healthy relationship to food and your body."
 

I am still highly enjoying this book and I am learning so much from it. I would definitely recommend reading this book yourself if you feel like you are suffering from those nagging negative voices in your head that bring you down. The notes I take from it may not be the points that are in there to help you, so picking up the book and reading it yourself would be the best way to take from it what you personally may need. There is so much in this book that I have underlined most of each chapter, but don't want to just type the whole book out here, so I urge you to find a copy!
 
Please also share if you have found a book about positivity and working on changing your negative thoughts. I would love something to read when I finish with this that will help me continue on this road of change!

No comments:

Post a Comment