Thursday, June 27, 2013

2014 Running Goal

Since 2013 is already half over and I have my running goal decided for 2015 (Dopey Challenge in January and Disneyland Half in September), I needed something for 2014, you know, other than just training..

So when my sister asked if I was planning on signing up to run the LA Marathon again next year I quickly decided to do it. Along with 11 other races through out the year. 

I am planning on signing up for one race a month for the 2014 calendar year. They will most likely all be half marathons with the exception of LA in March. 

I have never done this money races in a year and I am really excited to attempt it. Having races lines up keeps me motivated and focused and I am starting to get excited again. 

This is a great time for me to make this goal for many reasons. First of all, I am finally 100% debt free. I have paid off the rest of my debt and Patrick is finishing up with his. Once we are both out of debt we will focus more on saving for a house, but that is still a little ways off. Secondly, the races are still far enough away that I am paying the least expensive price. Races tend to raise their prices the closer you get to race day, so as long as I am paying attention to sign up dates, I won't be paying an arm and a leg. 

I'm really excited to run in a race again. The spectators, the race day experience and of course the bling are so worth it, in my opinion. Plus I have to go out with a bang!

I don't plan to stop running or stop racing entirely, but after Dopey, it would be financially wise for me to cut back to 1-3 races per year. It only makes sense to run all the races now and make it through Dopey while I can afford it. You know, before we buy a house and we're putting all of our money towards that.

Plus, I think I have decided that in order to be a surrogate I need to do it in good conscience. In order to do that then I need to be selfish now. I want to finish my running goals before I can commit my body to someone else. I know that it is selfish of me to wait to do this, but I know that if I don't take care of me first then I'm not going to be much help to anyone else, especially my own family. Thankfully I didn't get into the process too far before making this decision and I know that when the time is right to be a surrogate then it will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment