Friday, June 14, 2013

Father's Day Cupcakes

I highly enjoy baking cupcakes. Especially since receiving my mixer for Christmas from my amazing in-laws.




I've made cupcakes for all different occasions:

I have made Cinco de Mayo tie dye cupcakes



















I have made pink lemonade cupcakes for the summer



















I have made Funfetti birthday cupcakes for Isabel's pre-k class
 

I have made Mothers Day peanut butter cupcakes with chocolate frosting


 I have made Memorial Day cupcakes

 
 
And Graduation cupcakes, to name a few...



















It has come to the point where people request that I bring desserts to events. I don't think my cupcakes are THAT good, but they're not bad and I really do enjoy experimenting in the kitchen with cupcakes. I hope to take a cupcake/cake decorating class in the near future to improve my skills.
 
With Father's Day coming up this weekend I was asked to be in charge of desserts, with a special request for root beer floats and cupcakes. My sister is hosting the event at her house and put in the request for s'mores cupcakes. I have never attempted this recipe and after looking through my cupcake books I realized that this may be the chance to experiment the way I want to.
 
The recipes I found were either a little too advanced for me, or needed to be served immediately. Short of bringing my mixer and ingredients to my sisters I decided that I would try my own recipe and attempt for the first time of making cupcakes with chocolate in the middle.
 
I received some baking supplies at my bridal shower and I have yet to use one of the cupcake baking pans. This is a specialty pan that allows you to bake cupcakes with candy in the middle. It's the pan that I plan on using for my Father's Day S'mores cupcakes.

Since the recipes were a little too advanced I decided to try something new. The plan is to put two small pieces of Hershey's chocolate in the middle of a white cupcake. I then plan on using a marshmallow frosting and graham crackers for the topping.

The cupcake recipe I use for white cupcakes is from Crazy About Cupcakes by Krystina Castella. I have used this recipe two previous times and both times the cupcakes have turned out really well.

White Cupcakes
Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, separated at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350* F. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.
2. In a large bowl beat the butter with an electric  mixer on medium speed until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the vanilla and beat until combined.
3. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk until combined.
5. In a small bowl with clean beaters beat the egg whites on high speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. With a rubber spatula, stir a little of the whites into the batter to lighten it, then fold in the remaining whites until combined. Do not over mix.
6. Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full. Bale for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan.

I found the frosting recipe online on Every Day with Rachael Ray. I wanted to make my own frosting from scratch, but the recipes I found in my baking books all involved a lot of steps with a double broiler. So I found an easier recipe that is manageable for me.

Marshmallow Frosting
Ingredients:
4 sticks (1 pound) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
1 16 ounce tub marshmallow cream (such as Marshmallow Fluff brand)

Directions:
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy.
2. Beat in one-fourth of the sugar until fluffy, then repeat with the remaining sugar.
3. Beat in the vanilla, then stir in the marshmallow cream until well blended.

I really hope the cupcakes turn out well. I will be posting about them on Sunday including pictures and a review of how they taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment