Saturday, June 22, 2013

Running Recap

It took me a little longer than I care to admit to get out of bed this morning. The idea of getting up early every single morning to run is not one I like to think about. So it's a simple solution.. Don't think, just do! 

If I set my workout clothes out the night before or even if I wear them to bed, I am more likely to get up after hitting snooze once or twice (or miraculously yesterday, not at all). Today I laid in bed for a whole hour before turning off the alarm and getting ready for my run. 

Patrick was up and out the door headed for work long before my alarm went off and since my parents are amazing and supportive, Isabel spent the night so that I could get in my run bright and early instead of waiting until Patrick got home tonight. I enjoyed the quiet apartment before leaving for my scheduled 4 mile run.

A little before the halfway mark I had to decide whether I was going to keep going or turn around and go home. I take this route often enough to know where certain points are, like distance markers... and dogs... 

Just before the halfway point is a house. Their backyard has two horse stalls and I have been able to pet one of the horses a couple times since it's so close to the pathway. They also have two dogs. They're small, but they're loud and I have been scared more than once when running by this house. Not enough to stop running, but enough to be aware.

Today was different though. As I approached the house I could see and hear the dogs. But instead of coming to the fence and barking at me, the smallest of the two found a spot in the fence that he could get out of. He barked, he growled, he bared his teeth and he followed me down the path.

I walked backwards, facing him the entire time, and I walked down the path so as not to upset him by running away. I yelled at him to go home. He eventually lost interest the further away I got from his home, but I have never been so frightened. I don't think I was so much frightened of the dog, I was frightened because I didn't know how to handle the situation. Time to start reading up on more safety tips!

The rest of the run was uneventful. I thankfully had my GPS watch on, so I didn't take the rest of my planned run since it would bring me by the dog three more times. I kept running, but I took a different course.

My hopes for today were to finish each of the first three miles under 14 minutes and then run the last mile to continue my streak. And... I did it!!!

So my plan is to run my future runs using 45:1 intervals. I will continue using the 45:1 intervals until we start training for LA. Since Rachel and I are training and running the race together we will be using 30:1 per her request. But all other runs will be at the higher intervals.

Total distance: 4.34
Total time: 58:12
Mile 1- 13:57
Mile 2- 13:50
Mile 3- 13:54
Mile 4 (streak)- 11:37
Mile 0.34- 4:52


No comments:

Post a Comment