Friday, June 21, 2013

Running Gadgets and Gear

It is not very often that I buy myself an expensive present. I have no issue buying stuff for other people, or even the occasional shopping "spree". But ask me to spend $100 or more on myself on a single item and it takes me a very long internal debate as to whether or not I should.

It took me over a year and a half to be fitted properly for running shoes because I could not imagine spending that much money on a pair of shoes...















I received my current running shoes as a gift from my parents 12 days before this years LA Marathon. It was a necessity at that time. Either get new shoes or drop out of the marathon. And quitting was not an option. So my parents took me to the shoe store and I was fitted and I will never go back to trying to save money on running shoes by buying them at Kohl's or any other department store. A good pair of shoes can make or break you.

There are certain other running accessories that are necessary. I have a drawer in my dresser for running pants. A drawer of running shirts. And a drawer full of sports bras and knee high socks. Then I have a night stand that has a drawer that has my fuel, my fuel belt with water bottles, gloves and ear warmers (for the cold days).

The best gift I've ever received for running (besides my current pair of shoes) is the heart rate monitor Patrick bought me for Christmas a couple years ago. I love it and don't need to guesstimate how many calories I'm burning during each workout. I just need to replace the battery in the watch, but it has been well loved.

That brings me to the best gift I bought myself...

That would have to be, 100%, my GPS watch. No doubt about it. It was so worth the money I spent on it and the time I waited to get it (including multiple canceled orders for various reasons- mostly Amazon running out of the product). My main question I asked myself before I bought it was "will you use it?" And the answer was yes. And I do use it. All the time. It is by far the best thing I own, with a close second being my interval timer (but that was a no brainer and very inexpensive). The interval timer is a very convenient way to run intervals without having to look down at my watch. It's easy and I like easy!




















I will say that I find myself enjoying a run so much more when I am running "naked". I highly enjoy using my GPS watch and interval timer. I love knowing the distance I have gone. I love knowing the speed I'm going. I love knowing how fast my mile is. I love being able to keep track of my progress. But, there is something about going out for a run and just running based on how you feel.

I usually run "naked" when I am just going for my 1 mile streak run. I know the distance from my front door and back that brings the distance to 1.18 miles. I know where to start running and I know where to turn around. I don't worry about how fast or how slow I'm going. All I have to do is just keep my feet moving.

The last running product I have that I would recommend are running books and especially a training log. I have recently added to my running book library and am starting to read more and more about running (more on that later). I don't think my training log is quite what it should be.

I haven't really added much more information other than 1) the date 2) daily miles 3) total miles (which also serves as total saved) 4) squats completed for the day (which will turn into the next workout I start up after the squat challenge is over) 5) streak day # (I have written the streak # I'm on every 5 days). I know some runner's write down thoughts and feelings about a run, but I'm not really there yet (I just bring all of that here). I personally enjoy updating my training log after a run. It helps me see where I'm at and I take pride when I see myself reach certain milestones.

No comments:

Post a Comment