Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Running Stickers

I take pride in running. And I'm one of those annoying runners that puts stickers  and license plate frames on my car so that everyone knows what I am and what I've done.

My license plate frame is from my mom. She gave it to me after completing our first marathon. It's says "The pain is temporary, pride lasts forever." I love it. I doubt I'll take it off any time soon.

The first sticker I received and put on my car was for my first half marathon. Patrick surprised Rachel and me at the finish line with our 13.1 sticker. It went on my car immediately. I thought that it was the sweetest thing for him to do for us. It meant so much that he cared enough to do this because he usually doesn't do surprises and when he tries I tend to ruin them. It means that he knows how much running means to me.


Then my parents got us a 26.2 sticker along with the license plate frame. That also went on the back window as soon as I got home. I love having these stickers on my car and what I love even more is when I see another car with the same stickers. It's just one way to know you're part of something bigger in this world. 
That same day I also got a sticker from my niece. It meant a lot to me that she would pick something out for me. She saw it and thought of me and what I had trained so hard to do. Since that first marathon she has shown an interest in running as well, running her first 5K with her mom last year and asking if she can run a half marathon with us sometime in the future. 
I can't wait to finish the Dopey Challenge so that I can add a 48.6 mile sticker to my collection. This is such an amazing way to push myself and the ultimate goal that I can put my body through. I know there are many MANY more intense ways of pushing yourself, but for me this is what I feel I can do to push myself without injury and without going completely broke.
I think that in order to give back to Patrick for all of the support he has shown me I want to get him this sticker. He is not a runner and never will be, it just doesn't interest him. But he's been there to rub my calves, watch Isabel while I'm out running, usually at the finish line and always there for the emotional and mental support I need after a difficult run. There is no one I'd rather tell about my running experiences and no one I'd rather run to when finishing a race. I sometimes wish he was out there running with me, but this is my hobby. He can have his golf while I have running. It makes it more exciting when we can talk about the things we love, even if they are completely different.

2 comments:

  1. I get excited to see other people with the stickers too! I've got a hot pink 13.1, and am hoping to add a 26.2 in fall 2014!

    Mike jokes about getting a 0.0 for his car, and I've thought about getting it for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only are you going to rock the 26.2 distance, you're going to have so much pride putting that sticker on your car! I'm rooting for you Anne!

      Delete