Monday, May 27, 2013

Monday May 27th- Happy Memorial Day!

Happy Memorial Day!
American flag

I've read quite a few posts on Facebook wishing other's a Happy Memorial Day, but by far the best one I've seen says: "Happy Memorial Day! Remember, today isn't just about a day off from work, the unofficial start of summer, and cookouts. It's about remembering those who fight for our right to have all of those things and more... Thank you to all who have served and are serving!" Perfectly said.

After my not so good/not so bad weigh in this morning I decided that the first thing that needs to change are my eating habits. Although I was eating better than I had been in the past few months, it was not enough of  a change and I found myself falling back into bad habits towards the end of the week. Last week I posted about how I found a few smoothie recipes that I wanted to try and I thought there is no better time to try something new.

Today I tried the Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie as part of my breakfast and it wasn't bad. I followed the recipe as best I could, however I had to adjust slightly by using soy milk.

Peanut butter banana smoothie
1/2 cup fat free milk
1/2 cup fat free plain yogurt
2 Tbsp creamy natural unsalted peanut butter
1/4 very ripe banana
1 Tbsp honey
4 ice cubes
Combine the milk, yogurt, peanut butter, banana, honey and ice cubes in a blender. Process until smooth. Pour into a tall glass and serve.

I enjoyed the smoothie and feel full with including it with my breakfast. I could definitely taste the yogurt, which I wasn't expecting and may add more banana and peanut butter next time. I am really looking forward to trying some of the other recipes I have saved.

I have decided to track my food and exercise a different way. Writing things down does help me to see what I'm eating and I am able to look back on what I can work on from week to week. The problem is, it's awkward to pull out a notebook and hand write what I'm eating when I'm out with other people. Most everyone I am close with and would do that with knows that I am trying to lose weight, so it's no secret, but at the same time I find that I can be more discreet about it by tracking on my phone.

I'm going to try that this week and see if I find a difference between the two. I always have my phone on me and it's very easy to track on the Notes app and copy/paste into my blog. I think this might be the way to go for me, nice and easy.

Monday May 27th

Breakfast: 
Peanut butter banana smoothie
Banana (left over from smoothie recipe)
2 Kellogg's special k strawberry waffles
1 Tbsp peanut butter 

Lunch:
Smashburger- Fresh Mex chicken sandwich
Sweet potato fries
Haystack onions

Snack:
8 swedish fish

Dinner: 
Hamburger loaf on french bread
Pringles
Diet dr pepper

No fast food: ✔
No regular soda: ✔
No scale: ❌ (weigh in day)
Water: 8
Workout: 2.34 mile walk, 1 mile run, arm workout, ab workout
Positive: I ran a mile straight without stopping!

Today was the first day of streak running. My goal was to go out there and run as much of the mile as I could. About a tenth of a mile in I was huffing and puffing and I felt the need to walk. But I pushed through and I'm so glad I did.

I can think of one time in my life that I've run a mile straight through. One time. In 28 years.

The streak is going to push me to run a mile straight every day for the next 38 days. It's also going to help push me to get in the 10,000 steps a day that I've set  as my goal. 

I feel like today was a good day and I am truly proud of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment