Wednesday, May 15, 2013

26 Miles for 26 Angels

(I have so many things I want to write about regarding running and my plans to run the 2015 Dopey Challenge, but in order to focus on my future I want to embrace and share my running past... These race recaps were written for my original blog and have been added here for a view into how I came to where I am now.)

*Originally posted 1/27/13

I was at work when I received an email with the following:

26 Angel Run
26 Miles for 26 Angels
Come and participate in a "26 Angel" run,
bike or walk. 26 miles for all 26 of the people
that were shot and killed at Sandy Elementary
in CT. It will be on Saturday January 26th,
2013. Spread the word & please come join us.
Each mile marker will have an angel at the end of it with the name of an individual who died.
We are also accepting donations for the families.
You may Run/Bike/Walk however many miles you would like.
*(Please note: This is not a sanctioned event; therefore, there will
be no police, ambulance, water stations or t-shirts, etc… Participants will need to bring their own water and supplements.)
Time: 6:00am
I've been wanting to do something, donate somewhere, make a difference. I never knew how or where though and now I feel like I have my chance to do something. This tragic situation affected me more than I anticipated considering I have no ties to anyone in Newtown.
I can only hope that the tragic situation can bring out the best in people. In this case I am going to try to collect donations for the run. My goal is $260. Not a lot, but I feel like it's an amount I can reach. Hopefully it can make a difference.

Here are the maps for the 26 Angel Run. I'm getting really excited about doing this run and can't wait to see what the day brings.

As of right now I am planning on having Patrick meet me at the 12 mile mark (because it's at an easy spot for him to meet at). At that point I'm going to see how I'm feeling and will probably have him try to meet me every 3-4 miles depending on what's going on with my body/head. I know a big portion of this run is going to be mental, but I do not want to risk injury.

It all depends on the day, so I don't want to over think it.

This map is the one provided by the coordinator.



This map has every other mile marked as well as an elevation map.
 
I found out about the 26 Angel Run on January 9th. It didn't give me much time to prepare or to fund raise, but it was something that I knew I had to do.

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to make it the full 26 miles, but I had to try.

I ended up raising more than I had planned. And I ended up making it the whole way. It was something that meant something to me to do. To get a picture of every angel.

After posting the pictures to facebook I received a message from a friend about the angel at mile 21:
"I shared this photo with my cousin. She is very close to the parents of Emilie. Her daughter and Emilie went to school together mere months before the Parker's moved to Connecticut. Thanks for sharing, this photo has been passed along to Emilie's parents graciously."

I didn't do this run to be praised. I didn't do it other than for the fact that we wanted to be a light of hope, of good in people. This message meant something to me. Made me feel like what we did had a purpose. It's not enough to make up for what they lost. Nothing will ever be enough. But it's hopefully something.


























No comments:

Post a Comment