Saturday, August 31, 2013

Running Recap

My first run this week was on Tuesday. After taking the weekend off I was kind of jonesing to get out for a run early in the week, but I'm also trying to incorporate strength training and I don't want to fall back into my habit of all or nothing.

It's not ideal for this week as I would prefer to do M/W/F Gym and Strength training and T/Th/Sa Running, but sometimes you have to adjust for life. This week was back to school night (on Wednesday) and Patrick had to be at work early both Wednesday and Friday which means I take Isabel to school and can't go to the gym in the morning.

Unfortunately the weather has been full on summer and it is not very comfortable. I know my limits and I know that I am capable of running in 90 degree heat as long as I stay hydrated. Tuesday I made sure to drink as much water as possible throughout the day because I knew that it was going to be hot when I got off of work and was able to go for my run.

I used to be able to skip a run based on a number of excuses, but my main excuse was blaming the weather. Too hot, too cold, too wet, etc. It really didn't matter what was going on. If I didn't want to run, then I didn't and I could justify it left and right.

Tuesday I told myself as I was driving home that if it was over 90 degrees when I got to my parents then I wouldn't run. But if it was anything under 90 degrees then I would. I was hydrated and I needed to get my run in. As I got off of the freeway it was 91 degrees and I told myself to just go and get it over with.

Yes it was hot. Yes it was uncomfortable. Yes I was dripping with sweat when I was done. And yes I loved every minute of it. I did not regret going and even though I told myself I could go at a snail's pace I ended up sticking with my normal pace and even finished one of the miles under 12 minutes.

Pride..

I had another run scheduled for Thursday, however by the time I got ready to head home it was still 100 degrees and even I know better than to push myself in that. I would much rather take the day off of running than push myself too hard in that heat. That plus my GPS watch breaking was more than enough to exhaust me.

My long run this week was a scheduled 3 mile run with Rachel and Lorien. This was Lorien's longest distance run so far. Rachel has been walking and hiking lately to stay active, but this run was her first in a while. We decided on 30:1 intervals.

I decided to run to Rachel's house (about a mile) at 1:1, run with them for 3 at 30:1 and then run home at 1:1. It was a great run and I felt good the entire time. It was hot and humid out, so that didn't help much, but it's good to run even if the weather is not ideal because you never know what race day is going to bring and you want to be prepared for anything.

I was also able to use my new GPS watch for the first time. I ordered it Thursday after mine died. I decided that it was a purchase that needed to be made sooner rather than later as training has already begun and will be going on for a long while. I bought the Garmin 110.

Today was my first time using it since I had to charge it all night last night. So far I really like it and I love the features it has online. I posted a link to my workout for today and I like that feature a lot. It shows elevation and what the weather was like for my run, my pace and my mile times. It's pretty cool.

Untitled by xxvi.ii at Garmin Connect - Details

In case the link doesn't work...

Summary

Distance: 5.19 mi
Time: 1:11:51
Avg Pace: 13:50 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 177 ft
Calories: 663 C
 
Details
 
Timing
Time: 1:11:51
Moving Time: 1:10:44
Elapsed Time: 1:17:44
Avg Pace: 13:50 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace: 13:37 min/mi
Best Pace: 3:00 min/mi
Speed
Pace
 
Elevation
Elevation Gain: 177 ft
Elevation Loss: 182 ft
Min Elevation: 710 ft
Max Elevation: 823 ft
 
Laps 6

Split
Time
Distance
Avg Pace
Summary 1:11:51.4 5.19 13:50
1 12:16.2 1.00 12:16
2 14:49.0 1.00 14:48
3 14:17.9 1.00 14:18
4 14:38.0 1.00 14:38
5 13:06.0 1.00 13:05
6 2:44.4 0.19 14:13

Weather
75°
Feels like 75°
8 mph WNW wind
Humidity 69%


 
Not a bad run when the sunrise is so beautiful.. I absolutely cannot wait to go for another run to use my watch. So excited and so happy with my purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment