Thursday, August 29, 2013

My GPS Watch Has Died

And I am mourning it's death like it's a dear friend.

Because it is.. Or was..

My GPS watch was my first big ticket item I purchased for myself. I very rarely buy myself things other than clothing and this was the one thing that I desperately wanted. It took me months to talk myself into spending the money and when I finally got it I knew that it was worth every single penny.

I wore it for all of my training runs and it made it through 3 marathons and 6 half marathons. I had hopes that it would make it through the rest of my races and training. There were no signs that it would not turn on this afternoon for my run.

I am devastated. Which seems like a silly reaction over an electronic devise.

I am now on the hunt for a new GPS watch. I was hoping to just be able to purchase another Forerunner 305, but the manufacturer has discontinued this watch and the one available on Amazon is $329. I refuse to pay that much.

In fact, I'm having a difficult time justifying spending over $100, which I know I will have to do. I see this being a decision that will more than likely take me another few months to make before I inevitably decide that it is a purchase I will not regret making on myself.

Replacing this watch will not be easy. It was easy to use and learning something new is not what I had in mind while beginning my training for the next two years. Plus I can't justify spending close to $200 on myself right now.

Then again I know that I will eventually buy one and should just do it because it's not that big of an issue and because I know I will use it as much as I did this one (if not more since there will be more training happening).

I seriously feel like I am mourning a friend, which may sound ridiculous, however it was not something I expected and is difficult to accept. I will feel naked without it, or at least until I can replace it.

R.I.P. my friend. The past 1405.46 miles will not be forgotten.

2 comments:

  1. I bought the Forerunner 210 and really like it. It's smaller than the 305 and round but still gives the same information I believe. I got mine for $250 with the chest strap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation Jessica! I definitely need to get a new one quickly so I will look into that.

      Delete