Saturday, August 17, 2013

Running Recap

My running week started on Sunday this week. Yes, on my rest day. Which also included an hour at the gym... Hey, when you get the motivation and spare time you don't pass it up!

Saturday's run with Emma sparked a little bit of jealousy in Isabel. When I went to pick her up Saturday morning from my parents (who are beyond amazing for watching her over night so I could get in a morning run) I mentioned that Emma had joined me for a little over a mile of my 4 miler.

Her immediate response was "I want to run with you..."

So I agreed to a one mile run with her on Sunday. She was so excited and her reaction was priceless.

We went for a total of 1.23 miles and she did pretty well. It took us just over 20 minutes to do the whole thing, but she stayed pretty focused and didn't complain too much. In fact, there was one point where she just wanted to run the rest of the way home, but I told her it was better to start off slow and stick with the intervals (saving both myself and her from injury and overheating).

Monday's scheduled run was a quick loop around my parents house (including some of those beloved hills) and I asked Isabel if she was interested in joining me for a bit. She could not believe that I was inviting her to go again. I didn't want to do too much since we had just run the day before, so I took her for a quick half mile. She wanted to race and when I said no to that she asked if we could pretend like we were running a marathon together.

Bless her heart.

She is now starting to ask when she and I can run in a real race together. I'm not quite ready to sign her up for any distance over 1 mile and even then I'm not sure she can focus while in that type of setting (it's distracting to the best of us). But, I think looking into a 1 mile fun run at one of the nearby races would be a great experience for her and I'm really happy that she has found an interest that keeps her active (at least for now).

I don't want to push my interests on her, but it's difficult for her not to be interested in running with me or playing golf with her dad or even rooting for the Angel's because that's what she knows until she can discover her own hobbies and interests...




Total time: 37:05
Total distance: 2.74mi
Mile 1- 12:44
Mile 2- 12:39
Mile 0.74- 11:42
Avg MPH: 4.4mph
Max MPH: 7.0mph

I was thinking about running again on Tuesday to continue the streak I had going, but I know that it is better not to push myself to do too many things at once or I will risk failure and injury. The pain in my shins has yet to go away, so I know better than to push myself for an extra run when it's not necessary.

I skipped Tuesday and decided that Wednesday would be my next training day, which worked perfectly because Emma was going to be at my parents and I could run with her again. I decided that since she is going to be out of town this weekend with her parents that it would be okay to up the mileage for our run. My normal course around my parents is about 2.2 miles and I knew that if needed we could swing by the house at about 1.7 miles and then I would finish the run alone.

It was hot when I got off of work, so I called to make sure that she still wanted to go. I confirmed with her that she had been hydrating all day and told her that we would take it nice and slow so as not to over heat. We had to do it when I got off of work because it was her dad's birthday and we were going to be going out to dinner later. I gave her the option to not go, but she said she wanted to so off we went.

Her first mile (which is mostly uphill) was 55 seconds faster then her mile time with me on Saturday. I could not believe it. Of course this meant that we needed to take it much slower the second mile because we were pushing too hard, but she was very happy that she made it and that it was faster.

When we got back around and could turn off to go to my parents I told her that it was up to her if she wanted to stop now or finish up. She told me she wanted to finish and we agreed that we would finish strong. For it being hot, uphill and in the afternoon I was very impressed with her. She didn't complain once, voiced her needs instead of keeping it in and she still wants to run a half marathon with me at some point. I am one proud Auntie!

Total time: 31:48
Total distance: 2.17mi
Mile 1- 13:50
Mile 2- 15:19
Mile 0.17- 2:38
Avg MPH: 4.1mph
Max MPH: 6.5mph

I had a 5 mile long training run scheduled for today. Since I'm taking care of my sister's dogs while she is out of town this weekend I decided to add that into my run and mapped a run last night on Map My Run to see how far I would be going. The run I mapped out ended up being a total of 5.75 miles.

It's no surprise that I had an internal debate when I started running that I should cut off part of the run and only go just slightly over 5 miles. But I ended up telling myself that I would be proud of myself if I went the whole way. Then I started telling myself that maybe I should not just go the 5.75 miles, but go a little further for a full 6 miles. The plan was, if I made it back to the apartment and was over 5.75 miles I would keep going but if I was under I would just go home.

After stopping at my sisters house to feed the dogs I decided to go the "long" way, adding about two-tenths of a mile onto my distance. It ended up working perfectly because I stopped my watch at my front door with a total distance of 6.04 miles.

The run, overall, felt great. I had my normal shin pain the first couple miles, but they felt much better after that. It may be time for new shoes, or at least new insoles. And maybe it would be a better idea to use a different pair of shoes while I'm at the gym or while walking at work. I should leave my running shoes for running miles only.

I can honestly say that I am happier being a distance runner rather than a speed runner. My miles were faster than they should have been (again, whoops!), but I just get into this comfortable pace and I guess it's not such a bad thing...




Total time: 1:17:49
Total distance: 6.04mi
Mile 1- 12:49
Mile 2- 13:23
Mile 3- 12:42
Mile 4- 13:09
Mile 5- 12:36
Mile 6- 12:23
Mile 0.04- 0:44
Avg MPH: 4.7mph
Max MPH: 7.0mph

Next week I plan on going down to 4 miles for my long training run and then Rachel and I should be starting training together on the 31st with an easy 3 miles. I'm not sure what our pace is going to be. I have been enjoying the 1:1 intervals and am hoping to increase the amount of time I run soon, however I know that Rachel is not ready for that interval and I know that she's not really looking forward to running at all, so most likely we'll start at 30:1.

I'll see what she wants to do though and go with that. At least for my weekend runs...

No comments:

Post a Comment