Saturday, August 10, 2013

Running Recap

My first run this week was Monday. I decided to run again by Isabel's swim lesson, which works perfectly. Going between work and her lesson gives me a little over 30 minutes to run, which is just enough time. I found that I was able to get in a great run over 3 miles each day and was only 5 minutes late to her lesson.

Patrick and my parents are so awesome in allowing me to go for my run before her lesson. They are so easy going and supportive of my training that I can't even begin to express my appreciation to them.

Monday's run was a new course for me. I've really been enjoying that. It's really good to mix things up every once in a while and when I'm able to make up the route as I go it makes it more exciting for me.

This run had more hills than I am used to and my shins definitely have been feeling it. But I just have to keep telling myself that I love hills and that I eat hills for breakfast. I can't walk up them if I'm on a run interval because that doesn't benefit me (although I do love when it works out to be on a walk interval when I get to a hill).

Each mile got just a little slower, but I am still happy with each miles time. I think that this is the pace I am going to aim to keep for most of the races I have signed up for next year, at least the ones that I am running alone. LA last year I kept a pace under 14:30 for every mile (my slowest being 14:10), so I think that this would be a manageable pace to try to keep for Mountains 2 Beach if I stay consistent with it during training.

Total distance: 3.04mi
Total time: 37:41
Mile 1- 12:08
Mile 2- 12:21
Mile 3- 12:25
Mile 0.4- 0:46
Avg MPH: 4.8mph
Max MPH: 7.0mph

I ran again on Wednesday as scheduled. I ran in the same area by Isabel's swim lesson but went for a slightly different course. Not much changed other than I took out one of the hills (the biggest one) from my run on Monday. I went just a little farther and ended up going a little faster as well.

My shins were really tight again, so I backed off on the third mile in order to give them a break. I still finished the mile with a good time and felt great when I finished.

Total distance: 3.07mi
Total time: 37:34
Mile 1- 12:03
Mile 2- 11:58
Mile 3- 12:36
Mile 0.7- 0:55
Avg MPH: 4.9mph
Max MPH: 7.3mph

On Thursday I was thinking about going for another run. I had my gym clothes with me and I just felt great and ready to go. So I changed before I left work and ended up going for a third run this week. Still on the same general course.

When I got out there though I felt sluggish and it was a tough run physically. I pushed through and was really proud of myself for finishing. Sometimes I can feel like I'm having a great run and it shows and other times I can feel like my run is awful and I end up having decent mile times. This was one of those days.

When I got to the pool to watch Isabel swim Patrick rubbed my shins and calves for me. I even called a local massage school to see how much their sports massages are. I'm not too concerned about the pain, but it is a good idea to take it easy after my long run. As long as I pay attention to my body then their shouldn't be an issue. It may be time to replace my shoe inserts though.

Total distance: 3.05mi
Total time: 38:16
Mile 1- 12:21
Mile 2- 12:22
Mile 3- 12:35
Mile 0.5- 0:57
Avg MPH: 4.8mph
Max MPH: 6.8mph

Views from running this week:




My long run this week was a total of 4 miles. I am slowly increasing my mileage until marathon training officially starts on August 31st. I decided to start training a month early to get my body ready for the 5Ks I signed up for in September and October.

My niece is nine years old. At this point she has done one 1 mile fun run and a 5K which she ran with her mom. She has voiced interest in running a half marathon with me (as has my bonus/step daughter). I figured the best place to start with that is to sign her up for another 5K race since her last one was over a year ago.

She will be joining my best friend and I in September at the Simi Valley 5K. I bought her her own interval timer and decided that I would pick her up and we would run for part of my long run this morning.

We live less than a mile from each other, so the plan was to run to her house, run with her for about a mile, run back to the apartment and then finish up my 4 miles there. I ended up being ready earlier than I had thought I would be, so I went for a mile before I went to pick her up. I ended up being 0.04 miles short of hitting 2 miles when I got to their house, so I passed it and came back to pick her up. I started my run with 1:1 intervals and changed it to run 30:1 with her.

I didn't want to push her too far too fast, so we started with the slower intervals and went for a total of 1.21 miles. I was pretty impressed with her. She did great and I had to pull her back from pushing herself to go faster. I told her that we can work on speed later, but first we have to get to the distance.

Just after we hit mile 1 I asked her if she felt like she could keep going. She said yes with a smile. I promised her that I wouldn't make her do anymore today but that I was glad that she enjoyed it so far. I asked her if she was still interested in running a half marathon with me at some point. Her smile got even bigger and she said yes.

I was really impressed with her for getting up early on a Saturday to go for a run with me and I think that this is going to be really good for us as aunt and niece to get closer and that it's going to be good for her both mentally and physically. I can't wait to keep running with her and to see her improve.

I did really well on this long run to pull it back and to run slower than I did during the week. I didn't feel like I was going too fast and I just let my body do what it needed to do. I think that this is where I would like to be on future long distance runs that I go on by myself (between 13-14 minutes). I am getting excited to get up into the higher miles again and to get to that first start line at the end of September.

Total distance: 4.13mi
Total time: 55:45
Mile 1- 12:46
Mile 2- 13:21
Mile 3- 14:45
Mile 4- 13:04
Mile 0.13- 1:47
Avg MPH: 4.4mph
Max MPH: 6.5mph

No comments:

Post a Comment