Friday, August 2, 2013

Mental Preparation

Tomorrow is weigh in and I already know I'm going to see a gain.

I know this because I peeked at the scale this morning and it showed that I was up 2 pounds. A lot can change between this morning and tomorrow morning, so I'm doing my best to hope for the best but expect the worst.

This week was difficult for me mentally. I'm working out more which means I should be eating more. This is confusing to me and I'm going to be talking more about it later.

I know that it is expected to see your weight maintain and even gain when you start working out, but that doesn't stop the other half of my brain from talking negatively.

So today I have been and will continue to say the following things to myself:

"You did your best this week"- because in all honesty, I did. I worked out a lot and I made the best choices that I could. Next week I can only strive to be better than this week.

"It's one week"- in the grand scheme of things this one weigh in (or the next three) are not going to matter a year from now. I am making positive changes for my body and if the results don't happen right away it shouldn't be a reason to stop those positive changes.

"4 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks"- I've seen this pin on pinterest before and was reminded of it last night on facebook. It takes 4 weeks for you to notice changes in your body, 8 weeks for your family to notice and 12 weeks for everyone else to notice. I've been at this for 1 week. I cannot expect to see a difference yet or anytime in the near future.

"The scale is not the only measurement of success"- I took my measurements yesterday and I have lost inches in every single area. The overall number on the scale is also down. And I have been consistent with my workouts and have tracked my mileage. That's a lot of miles overall.

I am going to hope that saying these things today will help keep me from being upset tomorrow. I can pretty much guarantee that there will be some disappointment, but if I am able to just allow this to be one week, one weigh in on this life long journey then it really won't matter.

And it will make the losses that are bound to happen that much more appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment