Wednesday, August 7, 2013

138. Volunteer at nearby races

As I have previously mentioned, I often receive emails regarding nearby races. Sometimes I quickly delete the email if I am busy or just not looking for a race to sign up for. Other times I open the email and look to see if anything catches my interest.

Last week something caught my interest. The Conjeo Valley half marathon, 10K and 5K in October. Unfortunately it's the day after the Color Run (which wouldn't technically be an issue), but the price has increased and I decided not to sign up because I needed to wait to sign up for Mountains 2 Beach.

I did decide to put this race on my list for next year though and am looking forward to it. In the meantime though, the idea of this race stayed with me all day.

I followed the link, looked around, closed the link. A few hours later I did the same thing, except this time I went to the volunteer tab.

Volunteering at a race is definitely something I've thought about before. There have been times during a race that the only thing that gets you through are the volunteers that are out there, unpaid, doing whatever they can to make your experience better.

I want to give back to my running community. I want to be the one to pass out the water, to cheer as runners go by, give maybe just one person a reason to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

This may be my first time volunteering at a race, but I can guarantee that it will not be my last. I know that this experience is going to give me such a different point of view of the racing experience and I am really excited to be doing this.

My best friend is going to be joining me as well and I think that it is so awesome that she is willing to give up her entire weekend to be with me (both at the Color Run on Saturday and volunteering at the half on Sunday). She is awesome and I am really glad that I get to be sharing these experiences with her.

I cannot wait and I'm excited to post a recap about this race, especially since it will be my first time volunteering.

No comments:

Post a Comment