Sunday, September 1, 2013

Currently


Loving: My home. Although it's not as big as I'd like (or we need sometimes), it is enough. I know that by us staying in a smaller apartment we are saving money to eventually buy a house. I've often thought about us renting a three bedroom apartment while we save for a house, but to be honest the thought of packing, unpacking and the extra money we'd be paying a month just does not seem worth it to me. Instead I feel as though our apartment can be decorated and the furniture arranged to be our home. There is nothing better than coming home to a clean apartment and enjoying the patio that has plants and flowers. I love having our books and miscellaneous decor set just right. There's something calming about it.

Reading: I am reading House Rules by Jodi Picoult. Although her books tend to be about difficult topics (such as suicide, cancer, school shootings, etc) there is something about them that draws me in. I have read a few of her books so far and hope to finishih reading all of them (I just have to finish my collection) because they are so well written. I have yet to be disappointed and I really do think she is my favorite author. This book so far has grabbed my attention from the very first page. I have enjoyed reading before bed, on the patio with a glass of wine and I definitely enjoy reading it while on the stationary bike at the gym.

Watching: Patrick and I just finished watching the second season of Sherlock (the BBC version). I've seen all of the episodes before, but he had only watched the first episode with me. I finally talked him into watching the last two episodes. And now we do the waiting game before the next season premieres sometime in 2014. This is one of my all time favorite television shows, so it's difficult to accept that the seasons are only three episodes each and that it takes a year or two between seasons. In the meantime I will have to try to find something to hold my attention. Maybe I'll continue watching How I Met Your Mother on DVD or even finish up the last few seasons I have on DVD for Grey's Anatomy. I'm not a huge fan of most things on TV right now and it takes me quite a while to start something new, including a new movie, so it might just be the same old things for now.

Anticipating: Patrick and I will be going to two concerts this month. The first is tomorrow in Santa Barbara. Patrick bought tickets for us to go see Jason Mraz for my birthday in March. He is one of my favorite artists and the gift was greatly appreciated (even if I had to wait almost 6 months to enjoy it). I know that this is not really his type of music, so the fact that he is willing to go spend the day with me listening to it is pretty amazing if you ask me. To return the favor (and because no one else was able to go with him), I bought Patrick tickets for us to go see Iron Maiden and Megadeth on September 13th. This is his type of music and definitely not mine, so it's a pretty even trade off. I told him my number one rule was that I would not partake in any mosh pits and that I may require earplugs and a lot of alcohol. I just felt so bad when his brother said he couldn't go. I know this is something he's been looking forward to since he found out they were going to be in concert nearby.

Planning: Patrick and I will be celebrating our one year anniversary next month. I absolutely cannot believe that it has been a year already and I think that, even though we've had a few hiccups along the way, we are more in love now then we were a year ago. I truly believe that our wedding was perfect and there is nothing that I would have done differently. Not one thing. We have briefly discussed what we would like to do for the weekend of our anniversary, but we are on a tight budget because we are saving to buy a house so most likely we will end up going to a nice dinner and a cheap movie. Nothing too big and fancy, but then again that's not the type of people we are. I did suggest staying in a hotel for the night of our anniversary, but even that seems a little unnecessary. We'll see though. Maybe we'll find a good deal this month for something close by that we can enjoy together.

Working on: My new craft project. I have really been enjoying putting together medal and bib holders and am seriously thinking about trying to sell them at a local craft show close to Christmas. It will probably have to wait until next year so that I can figure out the best technique to use for the best results and so that I can make quite a few to sell. I am really interested in some extra income for our household and I really enjoy crafting. I briefly thought about making and selling scarves, but to be honest I see a bigger market for these signs because I have never seen them at any of the craft fairs or holidy shows around here. I think they would make great gifts for the runners in people's lives and I am actually planning on making them for my best friend, my sister and my niece for Christmas this year. I think that the DIY gifts are going to be big for us this year because of our tight budget, but sometimes those homemade gifts are the best kind.

Wishing: That Patrick and I could catch a break. I know that what we're doing is the right way and we will end up appreciating it more because we worked so damn hard to get what we want, but sometimes it's difficult to watch our friends and family get things handed to them. I really do understand that things happen for a reason and I know that one day we will have our dream home and a new car but it's not meant to be right now.

Measurements
Arm (L):
Last month: 12.75"
This month: 12.5"
Difference: -.25"

Thigh (L):
Last month: 26.75"
This month: 26.25"
Difference: -.5"

Bust:
Last month: 40.5"
This month: 40"
Difference: -.5"
Waist:
Last month: 35"
This month: 36"
Difference: +1"
Hips:
Last month: 44.5"
This month: 44.5"
Difference: 0

Progress Pictures:
Last month: 


This month:

Thoughts: I'm actually pretty happy with the results considering I didn't do as well as I could have. Taking measurements is definitely a different experience than weighing myself weekly. These results I can live with and not stress about or let take over my emotions. I know that since I just recently started strength training that I can expect to see better results next month. I also feel as though my progress pictures are similar, but improving. I am really a lot happier with what I see in the mirror these days.

Net Worth:
Last month: (as of 8/1/13)- $20,593.46
This month: (as of 8/31/13)- $20,187.87
Difference: -405.59

This month was kind of weird for us regarding net worth. While I was out of work with my wrist I had to write a check every two weeks for my health insurance. They just deposited all six checks this month. Although the money was in the account, it made the net worth take a hit doing it all at once. There was also the fact that the child support Patrick pays normally gets taken directly out of his paycheck but recently has not been. He had to pay for all of July and half of August this month. Another hit. There was also my car maintenance. Hit! And I signed Isabel up for swim lessons.. Hit..

You've sunk my battleship.

These are not normal things that happen monthly, so I feel as though we're doing well even if our net worth doesn't show it. We had the money for these things and didn't stress about them. That's a huge success in my opinion. We were able to transfer money to all of our savings and we currently have money left over from our last paycheck. Enough to not stress and probably transfer some extra over to our house savings again. I feel good about things financially, even if we're still on the uphill climb to get where we want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment