Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Confessions of a Running Mom

I started Christmas shopping this past weekend.

I have been wanting to start for awhile, but knew that it was way too early. Then while running on Saturday I decided that it was about that time to start. We're just over 3 months away and I really do not want a repeat of what happened last year.

Last year Patrick and I were financially struggling. We both had debt and we didn't have any extra money to spend on our families and friends. It was embarrassing and pretty upsetting to not be able to celebrate the way I wanted to.

I know that our families don't care whether we bring them gifts or not. There's not one person in our family that I can think of that is that materialistic. However, it is frustrating to go celebrate and receive gifts that people have spent time and money on and simply hand over a gift card.

The year before last I went way over the top. To the point of surpassing our agreed upon budget by close to $1000. At that time Patrick and I had our finances separate as we were not married yet and it took me close to 6 months to admit that I had over spent and put myself into more debt so that I could buy things. I didn't ask him to pay me back, but it did cause a discussion to happen for last years Christmas so that we would stick to our budget.

Our finances were separate last year as well. From what I remember I do believe that we stayed extremely close to our agreed upon budget. And then I decided that I wanted to open a savings account specifically to save for Christmas. We would transfer $25 a paycheck to that savings account and by the time Christmas rolled around we would have an extra $600 saved away. It would feel like less of a financial burden and I would be able to have more fun this year shopping for our family and friends.

The only thing I like more than shopping for myself is shopping for other people.

I made our list of friends and family that we need to shop for this year and our list is HUGE. I'm sure it's not as bad as most people's but we have decided to expand just a little to include more of our family this year. In expanding our list we will be getting each person something smaller or homemade, but we will still be spreading the Christmas joy.

I decided to start early because I don't like waiting until the last minute. It causes anxiety that I feel I can prevent. So I decided to start with Target, TJMaxx and Michael's. I also plan on going to Home Goods and Marshall's soon. I think that these stores tend to get new merchandise weekly and if I go once a month I should be able to find good products for everyone on our list for less.

The bonus kids only want cash this Christmas, so I am trying to find them little things here and there (mainly clothing) and then find creative ways to gift them money. I don't want to simply hand over an envelope, so I have been searching pinterest for ideas. There are some pretty cute pins.

Isabel should be the easiest to shop for. She's still young enough that toys, clothes, basically anything really is still exciting. I am contemplating going a little over the top and buying her an iPod touch so that she can stop bothering Leah to play on hers, but I am a little worried that she's too young and will end up losing it.

I just have so many ideas for everyone, so it's going to be a lot of fun getting everything together, especially the DIY gifts. I am glad that I am giving myself plenty of time to get all of those done because there are quite a few.

Patrick thinks I'm taking on too much, but as long as I stay organized and keep a list (and check it twice) then I should be okay. I am so grateful that he is showing his appreciation as well. It's nice to be recognized for the little things I do and I know that this is not his forte. I love that man, but I do not know how he can go out on December 24th to do his shopping (and he only has one person to shop for!)

No comments:

Post a Comment