Monday, July 1, 2013

Running Without Music

When I first started running on my own to train for my first mud run I used music. Every single run. It was part of my running gear to have my iPod in hand and I couldn't make it through a run without it. I realized early on during that race that it was not a smart idea to train with music if you can't use it on race day.

It was back then that I started using intervals without realizing that it was thing. I would run a song, walk a song and repeat. It was tough and it made me hate running and I would dread any scheduled run. It was not fun.

When we started training for the LA Marathon almost three years ago, I started out using music. It didn't take long before I realized that I could run without using music and quickly trained myself to run anything under 13.1 miles without music. It wasn't too difficult after getting used to it and I am really grateful that I am able to run for long distances without that tool.

I'm mostly grateful for it because I am able to use it as a tool. I was able to run both the 26 Angel Run and this years LA Marathon without music for more than half of each race. In being able to do this I gave myself an extra boost when I started listening to the music and it really helped me get past some mental walls.

The last time I updated my iPod I got rid of my running play list. I don't know why other than I didn't have any plans on running any distances over 13.1 miles. Then I decided that I was going to run the Dopey Challenge. I knew that at some point during the four day race I was going to need some help, most likely on the last day during the marathon.

So I updated my play list. As of right now I have 114 songs on my running play list. It consists mostly of Britney Spears, Ke$ha, The Black Eyed Peas (no shame!) and a bunch of other music that has a good beat that will keep someone pumped up while putting their body and mind through hell. This play list will last a little over 7 hours and should be more than enough to get me through the Disney weekend. I'm sure it will change between now and that weekend, but for now I'm happy with it and will use it when needed during the training process.

Another suggestion I've heard before is to download an audio book. It is supposed to distract you enough while running so that you're focusing on the words of the book and not about the pain you may be feeling or the distance you have left. I have not tried this yet, but it might not be a bad idea to have the option on my iPod.

No comments:

Post a Comment