Wednesday, July 24, 2013

I DID IT!!!

A push up that is..

I used to be able to do "girl" push ups. I got to the point where I could complete a 30 Day Shred workout doing regular push ups, aka not on my knees.

It was something that I was proud of because I never had a lot of strength in my arms. Or my legs. Or anywhere in my body to be honest. But I felt stronger and I was able to do these exercises. I showed improvement in these workouts and I showed improvements in my body. I was able to do more repetitions and I could easily measure it.

Then I had surgery on my wrist, which ended all workouts completely for a couple months. It put me into a deep funk. I lost all progress I had made and ended up in worse shape. What did I expect? I wasn't working out and I wasn't eating healthy. There were days when I wouldn't get out of bed...

Everything got better the day I could start running again. My mood improved, my mind improved, I had a positive outlook and a smile on my face. But there were still plenty of things I couldn't do.

I was out of work a total of three and a half months. I re-cooperated. I stayed as patient as I possibly could, but it was not easy.

I finally went back to work on July 9th. It felt great to get back into a routine and I could already tell a difference in my eating habits solely on the fact that I wasn't bringing unhealthy food to work. If they aren't available then I won't be tempted.

But there were still a lot of things I still could not do. I could run, I could walk, I could use the stationary bike, I could use the elliptical, I could exercise my lower body, I could do ab exercises all day long. But I could not do push ups, or burpees, or use weights.

And, being me, I focused on the things I could not do and not on the things I could do.

So I focused on being able to do a push up while doing physical therapy. It was one of my goals to be able to do by the end of my sessions. I didn't make it then, partly because I've been too afraid to try and partly because my sessions did not go long enough. I have been too afraid to try because I do not want to reinjure my wrist.

But last night I figured that there is no time like the present to at least try. So I tried. and I did three. I wasn't going for a certain number, I wasn't even trying to get a workout in. I just wanted to see if I could do it and I could.

It makes me happy for a couple reasons. First being the fact that I can do a push up again. Second being that I can finally add in some Jillian Michael's DVDs into my workout schedule. I have been waiting to do this because there are too many exercises that I wasn't able to do and I felt like I was standing around for too much of the workout to make it work. But now I can give it 100% every time instead of 70% and expecting results.

So basically I feel like being able to do this simple exercise makes it a little easier for me to feel motivated to do my workouts. I have got to stop taking these workouts and the time I have to do them for granted. I told myself when I still had a bright pink cast on my arm that I would not take a workout for granted again. Yet here I am, doing exactly what I said I wouldn't do.

No matter what happens, I am just happy to know that I can start to do these workouts now. All I can do is to continue to make workout schedules and do my best to stick with it. I can't promise I'll do it all and I can't promise that things are going to change. But I want them to so it's time I put in the work in all areas (in the kitchen and in the gym).

I know that I have the support I need. I just need to take advantage of that support instead of always thinking that I don't deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment