Sunday, July 7, 2013

Reading About Running

I love to read.

I love to run..

I love to read about running...

It makes sense. I think that there is so much more to running than getting out there and doing it, although that's the most important aspect. Running is physical and mental and anything to get you through a run is important.

My original "ritual" for running were my knee high socks. I have half a drawer full of knee high socks. They were my thing for a while. I think it was because I'm a pretty quiet and reserved person and this was my way to go a little wild. I wore them the first time at our first Mud Run and continued throughout most of my races (including Mickey Mouse socks at the Disney half, Robin socks matching Rachel's Batman socks at the Hollywood Half and socks that had "Los Angeles" down the sides for the LA Marathon to name a few). I stopped wearing them as often when I noticed more and more people wearing them at races.



























I decided recently that I wanted to add to my book collection, especially my running book collection. I think that reading about running and getting hints and tips about making through a run is an important part of the process. There may be something that you haven't thought of that can bring you to the finish line. Something that you would have never thought of before.

For me, I can sometimes get through a run just by thinking of an inspirational story that I have read about someone else and it can help me get through a difficult run because someone else has been through a lot worse. Granted it doesn't make the run any less difficult to get through, but sometimes just thinking "if they can do it, so can I" can push me to finish.




I've started reading the top book, Be Your Best at Marathon Running. I'm enjoying the book. Although it is geared toward a first time marathon runner, there is still a lot of information in there that I am finding helpful. I hope that all of the running books I've found so far (and hope to find in the future) are as insightful as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment